Saturday, March 30, 2019

Antonio Inoki vs Jack Brisco (10th May, 1979)


Introduction



Over at the NJPW subreddit, there is a spreadsheet of recommended matches from New Japan's history. I thought it could be fun to go through the 'highly recommended' ones and write about them. This will increase my knowledge and enjoyment of New Japan Pro Wrestling, and my skill in writing about wrestling, as well as hopefully entertaining others.

When I watch the match, I have a pad and pen and write down anything that I find interests me. Perhaps a high impact move, perhaps an exchange, perhaps a bit of character work. I'll write these out in bullet point form, then write my overall thoughts and give a personal rating out of 10.


I have an idea of what to expect from an Inoki match now. I have an idea what to expect from a 1970s New Japan match as well. A lot of mat wrestling punctuated by high impact moves. It's been a delight as well as an education in earlier styles of wrestling, and how that evolved into what I enjoy today. I have only heard the name Jack Brisco before so this is my first exposure to the man.

Moments



  • Brisco shoves Inoki into the ropes faster than anyone I think I've ever seen. This running the ropes spot was punctuated with a dropkick.
  • That move that I was unsure of in the last review, I found out listening to the commentary in this match, it's the Indian deathlock.
    • Inoki has Brisco in the Indian deathlock on his back.
      • Brisco sits himself up and punches Inoki in the head to release the hold. Brisco puts both his hands around Inoki's neck and starts choking him. Brisco stomps on Inoki and lifts him up for a brainbuster. On the way down, Inoki reverses it, falling on Brisco for a pin attempt. Brisco gets up, stomps on Inoki some more and then puts him in a front face lock.
        • Inoki reverses this into a true Indian deathlock with Brisco on his stomach. Each slam to the mat causes Brisco to try and scramble out of the hold. Inoki transitions into the bow & arrow submission.
  • Inoki hits a beautiful Saito suplex. There's a pin attempt followed by a standing dropkick when Brisco gets to his feet. Inoki picks Brisco up and delivers a Butterfly suplex. Inoki attempts some strange suplex or slam but Brisco escapes. This is followed by a leg drop.

Finish: Inoki kicks Brisco's thigh until he drops to the mat. Inoki body slams him before running to the top rope for a knee drop. Brisco rolls out of the way as Inoki crumbles. Brisco tries to capitalise with a hold but Inoki hooks his leg around Brisco's head, leveraging his shoulders to the mat for the 3 count.


Thoughts


What impressed me the most about this match were the sequences. There were multiple times where moves were linked together, or there was a series of reversals and capitalising on the advantage. For the most part, Brisco was the superior mat wrestler which is why I think he became so furious with Inoki after that Indian deathlock. It also makes Inoki's transition into the final pin all the more impressive.

Rating: 9/10

If you have access to NJPW World, the match can be found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment